08 April 2007

3 April 2007 Kathmandu


I am presently sitting in our hotel room in Kathmandu, recovering from a bout of food poisoning that hit Karen and I last night. We are deeply indebted to Chandra Niraula, General Manager of Independent Himilayan Adventure Ltd (see www.ihatours.com). I called Chandra in desperation at about 10.00 pm last night and he came to our hotel and stayed with Karen and I for about two hours until he had seen us through the worst effects of the food poisoning. He knew exactly what to do for us.

It was a real effort for me to get up this morning, but Chandra turned up again with some fresh fruit for breakfast. I then had to gather my energy to make an appointment with Dr Siddhartha of the National Trust for Nature Conservation in Nepal (www.ntnc.org.np). After such a struggle at times in Viet Nam, which seriously exhausted me in the end, I am feeling very positive for our next four weeks in Nepal. Before leaving NZ Alice's class teacher, Johnny Ryan, connected me with a trekking guide who he had got to know very well about 20 years ago. Karma Lama works with Independent Himalayan Adventures as a guide. Since being here we have learnt that he has offered to guide us, with all expenses covered, for about half the normal cost. Chandra, the General Manager, is supporting Karma in this. We are very deeply grateful to Karma and Chandra for their help and support. Meanwhile, my older sister Jill and brother-in-law Nick connected us with a good Nepali friend of theirs. Damini has proved to be an excellent contact. She facilitated our first meeting with Dr Siddhartha last night.

The consequence of my meetings with Dr Siddhartha, last night and this morning, is that he is going to inform all of his field people on the Annapurna circuit who will assist us along the way. Oh.... important information is that Lena, Alice and I are walking the Annapurna circuit, leaving Kathmandu on Thursday. We will be away for 21 days in total. The one potential snag is that there is some sensitivity about me carrying a professional film camera, but I am presently confident that this will be positively resolved. Otherwise it is shaping as an awesome experience and I hope, very strongly, that we will get back on track with the core focus of this journey.

I will try to write a bit more tomorrow, before we head away into the Himalayas for three weeks.

Apologies I have got a little out of sequence here. I am sure you can sort it out.... Michael

No comments: