12 April 2007

From Karen in Kathmandu



It's a beautiful day here this morning, after last night when we had another thunder and lightening storm. I was listening to a street party with live music right outside the hotel room, but after cheers, it went quiet with a power cut over the whole city it seemed to me. The music was good too. I haven't heard how Gavin and the girls are going yet, but hope to any day. I am sure they are loving their mountain adventures.

I have been wondering the streets, getting lost among the tourists, looking at all the beautiful hand crafts for sale. I would love to buy lots of things but it would be hard to carry them around and back to New Zealand. As Gavin has already said the people who are looking after us in Nepal are great, Karma, Gavin's guide on their trek right now, (who was also Alice's teachers guide), and Chandra, the general manager of Independent Himalayan Adventure Ltd. have both been excellent and so kind looking after us for our time here, and especially when we were sick.

Chandra took time out from his busy work schedule to take me around the Monkey Temple, which I really enjoyed seeing. I would recommend anyone who wants to come here to trek in Nepal, to go through them.

The people are lovely and friendly here , even if it is a busy tourist area. I enjoyed exploring the local second hand bookshop and meeting some interesting people who obviously have a great love of books. I also got asked to listen to see which bell sounded the best by another teacher, who worked in the international school in Bangkok. I hope she liked her choice in the end.

I haven't done too much sight seeing as I have been sick, but am almost better at the moment. Its been very good for me to stay close to the hotel and relax. More later when I come back from meeting up with Gavin and the girls on 25th.

I bus to Polera then fly to Jomsom to meet them which I am looking forward to.

No comments: