23 April 2007

Safely back in Kathmandu

An email from Karen in Kathmandu to Emma in Switzerland

Hi Emmy,

Safely back in Kathmandu now, I had a good 6 hour bus ride to Pokhara, which was a beautiful place. I stayed by the lake and read my book, walked around and got befriended by 2 little boys who didn't realize I couldnt speak Nepali, but loved looking at my map.

Stayed in a lovely hotel called the Moonlight. Joined Gav, Lena and Ali, in Jomsom, ( they will be back here in 2 / 3 days). I loved the flight to Jomsom, saw fantastic views of the mountain peaks above the clouds, and little villiages down below, like little square boxes and took photos with my little camera. I had a good but scary flight on a small 16 seater ( I think) and was met by Karma our guide.

The others were just getting up at 7.30 am, then a quick repack and we were on our way after breakfast. We quickly walked to the road and onto the river bed of the Kali Gandaki valley, scrambling over river stones for 11/2 hours,and got to Marpha, a lovely villiage, which I took photos of from the air. Gav interviewed a man there and he showed us up the hill/ range behind the villiage. It was a mad scramble up sheer cliffs, very scary for me especially in the high wind. The others are used to this by now. Ali even climbed in her jandals.

The next day we walked for 6 hours, it was very exausting for me as I wasn't used to it, 4 hours were good, but the last 2 were very tiring, limping with my blisters down sheer cliff faces on tiny goat trails down to the deepest gorge.

No comments: