01 May 2007

Lena - The Trek


Before we left New Zealand, we were interviewed by the Hawkes Bay Today. The lady who talked to us asked me what I was most looking forward to on the trip and I said: seeing the Pyramids in Egypt. Well I'm still looking forward to that, we'll be in Egypt on Thursday, but the highlight for me so far has definitely been trekking around the Annapurna circuit for three weeks.

Before we left home we did a three day walk to try out all our gear and I was so unfit and got really worried about how I'd handle walking for three whole weeks.

I never imagined that it would be such a struggle and we'd go through so much, but it wouldn't have been the same without all the hardships. The worst for me was having all these people pass us on the third day walking, but we caught up in the end. I had been fighting the food poisoning that we got in Kathmandu the day before we left and it caught up on me big time; I could barely walk, let alone carry a bag, or walk up the hills! I was so grateful that I had Dad and Ali there to support me, as well as our guide, Karma, and the two porters who carried our packs, I couldn't have done it without them all.

At times it was like walking through a fairytale landscape from stories, it was so beautiful and magical, the photos we took honestly don't do justice to it. It wasn't just the landscape, but all the weird and wonderful people we met along the way. You know who you are. Mwahaha, just kidding....hehe

Anyway back to the story. First I walked slow because I was sick, and then once I was better I was still walking slow because we were getting into higher altitudes. It felt so surreal when Dad said we were at the same height as Ruapehu and walking along flat at that height. I even ran a bit just to say that I'd run at that altitude.

All the walking was leading up to going over Thorong La pass and once we were over, it was kind of like, Ok, now what? Sweet, we'll just have to keep on walking out the other side then.

The first side was way more special to me than the second side, not to say that we didn't have really awesome experiences there too, but once we left the mountains behind, nothing compared to having been amongst such magnificent presence.

The road was definitely a mood killer and we all were really angry and upset by it, but just focus on the good things right? I'm just glad we were able to do it before it was completed. All in all this is one thing I'll never forget for the rest of my life and wouldn't change it for the world.

No comments: