18 February 2007

From Lena in Thailand 11:06AM


Flying over Bangkok at night was really beautiful; just the shiny lights outlining the streets and buildings and everywhere else just blackness. As soon as we got off the plane the humidity hit me, I couldn't believe that people were walking around wearing jeans!! I suppose they're used to it though.

The hotel we arrived and are staying at looked a bit shabby from the outside, but as the owner explained to us, that's cos they use recycled wood. All the people who work here are really nice and polite and most of them speak at least a bit of English and Rose (the owner) speaks English very well.

It takes a while to get used to the smell and the food, well lets just say it's more of a challenge than usual for me.

We visited the Grand Palace, it was massive. We weren't allowed in most of the buildings because they were tombs for deceased royalty. I felt that we were kind of intruding on a sacred place; a bit tapu. there were so many tourists, I think it should just be a place left in peace.

We also went and saw the Emerald Buddha. As soon as I walked in I felt like there was real energy and power, and again, I felt we were intruding.

The Reclining Buddha in another temple we visited was, what's the word for it? Amazing? Spectacular? Breath-taking? A combination of all three. Hollow and gold-plated, it was there before the temple that was built around it. On its feet were mother-of -pearl pictures of elephants, people, gods.

Dad and I did some filming around Chumphon Cabana Resort with Varasorn (the owner) and it was real interesting cos on the outside it's just a holiday place for people, but if you go out back or know where to look, you see all this amazing stuff going on like they've created a wetland and grow rice and try to do heapsa stuff organically. Also they have this Play + learn = Plearn philosophy which is making it a pleasant environment the workers to work in.

Yesterday we went out to this forest tribe and interviewed the leader of the tribe and he had some really interesting stuff to say about climate change both on a local and global scale. But what amazed me was when we interviewed his two teenage daughters - they had such wisdom about how the world should be, I couldn't believe that they were only 16/17!

No comments: